I was scheduled to be induced at 39 weeks. It worked out great because my mom was able to fly into town to help me with the girls while I was in the hospital. I was also having such bad pains from the baby pushing on my sciatic nerve. I kept having muscle spasms and falling down. I fell at the airport when I was picking my mom up, and my knees were dripping with blood. I'm so glad that's over.
I couldn't sleep at all the night before, so I ended up just getting up and doing my hair and makeup. We went to the hospital at 6:30 am. They started the pitocin at 8 am. I didn't feel any contractions at all for a couple hours, even though I was having them. I had planned on getting an epidural all along, since I knew from having Claire how much more intense the contractions are with the pitocin. I wanted to wait to get the epidural at least until the contractions were pretty painful, though.
My doctor broke my water around 10am. At this point I was dilated to 4 cm. I started feeling contractions soon afterward. In an hour they were extremely painful and about 1-2 minutes apart, so I asked for an epidural. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to 6 cm. The anesthesiologist didn't arrive for 40 minutes. At that point I was in soooo much pain. I was crying and moaning. Blake was so pissed about how long it took him to get there. He acted like he was really freaked out about me having a spinal fusion. He took about 20 minutes to administer the epidural. My contractions were getting worse and worse, and Blake was about ready to go nuts on him. He said the epidural would start working in 20 minutes. 20 minutes passed, and it did not take effect.
The nurse then checked me, and I was dilated to 9cm. She called my doctor who arrived shortly after. Blake said I was making some crazy noises with the contractions. My doctor told me I got the epidural too late, and it wouldn't work. She wanted me to push, and I was willing to do anything to end the pain. I pushed once and I could see his head in the mirror (I got to watch the whole thing in a mirror, and that really helped distract me from the pain). I felt "the ring of fire", which was a really intense stinging pain. I wanted to push again right away, but she had to stop and give me an episiotomy. It was awful waiting for that while feeling that intense pain, and seeing his head so close to being delivered. I pushed again and his head was out. One more time and the rest of his body was delivered. It was really incredible to be able to watch the whole thing.
He is so cute! His eyes look like they will be blue or green. He looks a lot like Jayce did as a newborn. His skin looks pretty olive now that his jaundice has cleared up. He weighed 8 lbs 5.5 oz, and was 21.25". He was born at 12:35 pm. He is a little chunk! He probably would have been about 9 lbs if I waited for him to come on his own.















2 comments:
He is ADORABLE Jen! I was feeling for you while reading this, isn't that ring of fire like the worst feeling ever? Way to Go! Enjoy that baby they grow so fast.
I have never heard of the ring of fire except from Johnny Cash and I am pretty sure he isn't talking about the same thing! I was flinching just reading and imagining what you went through! I am so sorry! Atleast it is worth it! He is going to look like a blue/green eyed Jayce! He is beautiful!
Post a Comment