We had to put our cat, Footis, down. We'd only had him for a little over a year, and we knew he was old (14 years old), but I didn't realize how hard it would be if he died.
One day he had a seizure, and a couple weeks later he had another one. We took him to the vet, and while they were examining him they found two large tumors on his stomach (they were unrelated to the seizures). He would nip at anybody that pet his stomach, and now we know why. His behavior had changed and he acted kind of depressed to me. He lost interest in going outside and he would lay under Jayce's bed all day. I just couldn't stand seeing him in any more pain. We probably should have put him down when he got shot with a bb gun, but he did seem to recover from that.
We were all so sad to lose him as part of our family. Blake took him to the vet to see about the seizures and he called me and told me what the vet recommended and I bawled. Blake even cried and wished I came with him when it was done. Claire doesn't really understand, but sometimes she'll say, "Footis died huh? Remember when he bit me?" I guess she doesn't miss him as much as the rest of us.
Jayce has been completely devastated. It was over a month ago and she still cries about it. He slept with her every night and "snuggled" with her more than any of us. She knows he's not in pain anymore, but she says she's just so lonely without him. The other morning she came in my room and told me she thought she saw his spirit. The poor little thing! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. She said it made her feel peaceful. Hopefully she will start to heal from this.
He was such a great pet for the short time we had him, and we are so grateful that we had a chance to have him in our family.

No comments:
Post a Comment